LOUISIANA POLICE DISABLE FLOCK CAMERAS AHEAD OF PUBLIC HEARING
- Mike Batchelor
- 2 days ago
- 2 min read
Updated: 18 hours ago

LOUISIANA, Mo. — The Louisiana Police partment has temporarily disabled the city’s FLOCK automated license plate reader cameras as officials prepare for a public hearing Monday over privacy concerns, safeguards and whether the system should remain in use.
Louisiana Police Chief Josh Baker told KHQA TV that all seven of the city’s FLOCK cameras have been covered and taken out of service until further notice following reports of misconduct involving the same technology in St. Charles County.
St. Charles County recently discontinued its use of FLOCK cameras after determining that an employee had accessed the system for personal, non-law-enforcement purposes.
Baker said he believes automated license plate readers can be useful to law enforcement, but the St. Charles County incident demonstrated the need for stronger safeguards and routine oversight.
“Public safety must never come at the expense of the rights and privacy of the citizens we serve,” Baker told KHQA.
The issue has already been the subject of debate in Louisiana, where Ward One Councilman Woodrow Polston has raised concerns about the number of cameras operating throughout the community and the amount of information they collect.
Polston said residents have approached him expressing discomfort with having their vehicles photographed repeatedly as they travel through town.
Louisiana’s first FLOCK camera was installed in March after the system was approved by the city council as part of a Blue Shield Grant in June 2025. The city currently has seven cameras.
Two competing ordinances are expected to be discussed.
One proposal from Chief Baker would allow the cameras to remain while establishing restrictions on their use, accountability requirements, audits and penalties for misuse.
A separate proposal from Polston would remove the cameras entirely.
City officials have previously indicated that eliminating the system could raise contractual questions because Louisiana has already entered into an agreement with FLOCK.
The debate will now move directly to the public.
A public hearing is scheduled for Monday, August 24, immediately following the regular Louisiana City Council meeting, which begins at 5 p.m. at the Louisiana High School auditorium.
According to the public agenda, a representative from FLOCK is also expected to attend and answer questions.
Polston is encouraging residents on both sides of the issue to attend.
He said the council needs to hear directly from citizens before deciding whether Louisiana should keep the cameras with additional safeguards or remove them altogether.
The Louisiana Police Department’s decision means the cameras will remain disabled while that discussion moves forward.




Comments